What is gilsonite?
Some types of asphalt or bitumen are made in nature over so many years due to gradual transformation of crude oil and evaporation of its volatile materials, and such bitumen is called natural asphalt or bitumen and it is much more durable than bitumen (gilsonite).
Gilsonite is a natural hydrocarbon soluble in aromatic and greasy solvents such as bitumen and since it has extraordinary adaptability with oil products, it is mostly used for thinning and thickening them and is dark, shiny, and glossy which is brittle and can be easily crushed into dark brown powder.
Exclusive feature of gilsonite is its high amount of nitrogen which is higher than other bitumen products and synthetized resins.
As gilsonite is a non-toxic mineral and natural substance, it has got a wide variety of applications in different industries including construction, paint and resin, asphalt for road pavement, casting, chemicals, drilling mud and cement, and rubber. Its ash is not important and even it can be used as a property to mix asphalt better with other additives. Therefore, gilsonite’s sulfur is an important and advantageous factor to be mixed with asphalt.
1- Manufacture of roofing belt and asphalt
Gilsonite is extremely hydrophobe and resistant to acid and alkali and one of remarkable properties of gilsonite is its solubility in non-polar solvents such as carbon sulfide and molten bitumen; therefore, it is highly used in manufacture of roofing belt, and some of its properties are outlined as follows:
1) Solubility in non-polar solvent such as carbon sulfide and molten bitumen
2) Great modifier for refinery bitumen, and as it contains polymer hydrocarbons is considered an excellent additive to bitumen and reduces its high-temperature sensitivity and permeability, and increases its viscosity, softening point and high-temperature performance, resulting in a higher quality and integrated asphalt, and is a cheap substitute of SBS modification polymers. Furthermore, gilsonite is far more easily mixed comparing with other asphalt modification polymers, increases performance grading (PG), load bearing, stability and resistance of asphalt as it contains sulfur which omits some of contractorship operations and makes it very economical.
3) Used as a crack filler and for solving other problems which result in decay of asphalt in heavy traffics.
4) Gilsonite is used as modifier in manufacture of hot mix asphalt (HMA) and solves its polymer problems
5) Gilsonite is easily mixed with other compounds
2- Manufacture of paint, ink, and coatings
Manufacture of printer inks using black and brown pigments of gilsonite. Gilsonite resin is widely used as carbon black wetting agent for black ink and gravure ink. Some of other benefits of gilsonite resin are as follows:
1) Competes petroleum-based hydrocarbon resins, phenolic resins, and coil resins
3) Cheap asphalt enamel anti-corrosion gas and sewage pipeline and outer surface coating, acid resistance, car chassis and steel structure coating, etc. are among other applications of gilsonite resin.
1) Isolation of bridges and channels solubility
2) High solubility and isolation properties
3) Stability and resistance against weather conditions.
4) Very suitable insulation for electronic kits in electronic industry
4- Bitumen emulsion
Gilsonite micronized powder is used in manufacture of environmentally friendly bitumen emulsion
5- Manufacture of coke
70-80% of gilsonite is carbon according to its elemental analysis, and because of this when it is added to melted steel provides a reducing atmosphere and can be used along with bituminous coal which meet requirements of being transformed into coke.
6- Drilling mud
Gilsonite is used in manufacture of drilling mud fluids and oil well cement slurry because of its unique and stable composition for walls of oil wells which results in improvement function of drilling mud for shale and reduces weight of well cement slurry. Other benefits of gilsonite in drilling are as follows:
1) Gilsonite well cement slurry has got low density without adding too much water
2) Compatibility with other additives, and acid and alkali resistance
3) Resistance against premature hydration of cement slurry
4) Wide range of temperature performance
5) Resistance against average water pressure
6) Resistance against conglomerate over time and under pressure
7) Resistance against solubility in petroleum
8) Sealing oil well cracks due to its plastic viscosity property
Gilsonite lumps are used along other fuels such as mazut (fuel oil) and coal in furnaces.
Gilsonite is used as a carbonate additive in casting sand to make plates smoother on gray iron molds. Combination of gilsonite and sea coal is used as a special adhesive for casting sand resulting in fewer casting imperfections, also for releasing mold and forming metals, it is also used in combination with chemical compounds such as magnesium and slaked (hydrated) lime for desulfurization practice in the steel industry.
9- Chemical industry
Gilsonite has been successfully used for a long time in manufacture of sealants and adhesives. This mineral substance is an appropriate substitute for synthetic resins in fraction of raw materials. Gilsonite is used as an excellent lubricant in manufacture of different products such as pencil’s graphite core, battery carbon rod, and as an anti-corrosive for dark polyethylene or PVC against solar UV radiation.
Before adding gilsonite bitumen should be heated and then mixed. Most usual method of adding gilsonite to asphalt is done using batch plant and / or drum mixer which can be added in dry and / or granulated form and also with sacks which can be melted and / or in bulk and / or with screw feeders. In the most important method gilsonite is directly added to refinery bitumen storage tank while temperature of bitumen is approximately 170 degrees centigrade and there is circular movement in the tank for uniformity and there is no need to any specialized equipment.
Samples are provided from all clients’ orders and quality of which is tested by a well-experienced team and upon client’s request this company is ready to provide quantity and quality inspection and SGS certification services.
SGS inspection is recommended before sending consignment which includes data such as number of containers, pallets, and / or packing sacks and images of loading operation.